Friday, January 7, 2011

Meatball Soup! or Albondigas locas!


I always wanted to make meatballs, but was very fearful of the turnout. Not that they're too difficult to make, but as with any recipe the fear of failure and having to eat something else because the taste in unbearable! UGH!

As you know one of my 2011 resolution's is to try out one or two recipes a week and they need to be healthy! so this week I was very adventurous and tried out three in total! Today's recipe is Meatball Soup and it was delicious! so yummy that my two kids ate it like there was no tomorrow! and so did Toni -remember? the lady that helps me clean the house?-....Anyway here is the recipe. The only variation I made was adding cilantro.

INGREDIENTS:

6 cups water
1/3 cup brown rice
3 tablespoons beef or chicken bouillon powder
4 sprigs fresh oregano, finely chopped or 1 tablespoon dried oregano
8 oz. lean ground beef, turkey or chicken *
1 tomato,  finely chopped
1/2 onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 large egg**
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups chopped fresh vegetables (carrots, zucchini, celery, broccoli, sweet potato)

PREPARATION:

  1. In a large pot, combine water, rice, bouillon and oregano. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir to dissolve bouillon. Reduce heat to low and simmer.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix ground meat, tomato, onion, egg and salt. Form into 12 large meatballs.
  3. Add meatballs to broth mixture and simmer 30 minutes.
  4. Add vegetables. Cook 10 - 15 minutes or until meatballs are cooked and rice and vegetables are tender. Serve hot.
* I used a pack of ground sirloin from vons, which in total was 1.57 lbs
** Because I had more meat I used 2 eggs instead of one and added more water.


NUTRITIONAL VALUE:

Calories           Fat  
196                  6 g

The soup is delicious and my family loved it! It is an easy way to eat vegetables, carbs and protein! Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment