Friday, May 18, 2012

Cuban Independence Day {20 de Mayo}


I made this flag on my computer... :)

As a half Cuban I am expected to know about Jose Martí {Poet, Politician, Writer, Revolutionary}, Perez Prado {he developed the Mambo!}, Camilo Cienfuegos {Revolutionary}, Fulgencio Batista {former Cuban President}, Fidel Castro and of course Celia Cruz! {I hope I didn't forget anyone}

This weekend marks the 110th anniversary of Cuba's independence from Spain. The exact date was May 20th 1902 or 20 de Mayo as my grandmother used to say... It is a very important date in Cuban history and my grandmother "Mima" {as we called her so lovingly} would always remind us of it. 

My grandmother, she was the life of the party always!
even with Mexican Mariachis! <3


Here are some facts about Cuba that you might not know:

Christopher Columbus in his historic voyage arrived in Cuba in 1492. After Columbus' arrival Cuba became a Spanish Colony until 1902. The Cuban independence movement lasted 10 years! from 1868 - 1878 and José Martí was part of this.


My collection of pre-Indepence Cuban currency
More Cuban currency, current and past. 

In Cuba the official language is Spanish, usually the last letter of a word is not phonetically pronounced. For example: "Que es eso?" {What is that?} would be pronounced "Qu' e' eso?"

Almost every conversation starts with "Chico(a)",  "Oye!", "Mira!" or "E'cucha!" mostly depending on what part of Cuba you are from. 

Cuba is mostly known for it's Cigars {which are handmade and of excellent quality}, sugarcane and coffee. 

Cuban coffee is drank in little teacups, but it's enough caffeine to keep you wide awake for more than you'd like {if you are not used to it} This is what a Cuban coffee maker looks like:



Cuban cuisine is based on onions, garlic, olive oil, cumin, oregano and bay leaves. 

There is always white steamed rice and beans served along with the protein. 

Cubans are friendly, happy and always ready for anything {I know because that is how my family is}

When they say the time, if it is past the hour then they say "y pico" for example if it's 12:20 they say: "12 y pico!" Here is a clock to show:

Given to my Mexican husband to understand
Cuban time easier. ;)

I have several Cuban food recipes in case you'd like to try them out {these recipes were always prepared by my grandmother and mother and now by me}:

Chicken Fricassee

Tostones

Picadillo

Cuban style fried rice


The closest I've been to Cuba:



20 comments:

  1. You've taught me something new today =) Great informative post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! that's what it's about, sharing culture, traditions and history from other countries. Specially the one's I know so well.

      Delete
  2. I am proud to be a Cuban and is always good to refresh our memories...
    Love your post ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree it's good to always refresh everyone's memories...

      Delete
  3. Cute post! I learned something today! And I love Porto's but if you know of another place we should try out, let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Porto's mmm! in all honesty no place compares to Porto's except Versalles in Miami haha or my grandmother's cooking.... but Porto's is delicious! I'll have a media noche, pastelito de guayaba, coquito, materva, croqueta, sandwich cubano, the list is endless... the only thing I will not have anywhere is papa rellena. Only homemade... ;)

      Delete
    2. Do you have a recipe for Papa Rellena because we love those!!! I heard there's a Versailles in LA? Haven't made it out there yet and possibly Felix's in Orange (I'm in OC) - I'm going to have to try media noche! I always get the slow roasted pork plate at Porto's and Hubby gets a Cubano! I think we need to go tomorrow lol ;x

      Delete
    3. There is! we have been, it is also good different setup than Porto's though. If you do go tomorrow send me a picture!!! :) you are making me hungry and I already had dinner ;)

      Delete
    4. The papa rellena recipe, I do have in my mind and have to test it out. My grandmother used to make them and I never wrote the recipe down. She passed away in 2009 so I may have to ask my mom for help on that one... maybe soon though!

      Delete
    5. I LURVE Porto's! There's a Porto's almost-equivalent in Monrovia called Merengue, if you're ever in that area.

      Delete
    6. I will keep that in mind so I may try it out next time I am in the area. Thank you for the tip Chris. :) and thank you for visiting our blog and taking the time to comment. :)

      Delete
  4. Very cute! Loved learning more about your heritage. There's a Versailles in the San Fernando Valley :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it delicious!? what is your favorite meal there? I love ropa vieja with white rice and plantains! mmm and of course a Materva {apple soda} to go with it... mm

      Delete
  5. Great article, I really enjoyed being reminded of my heritage. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what it is about, refreshing memories and celebrating heritage. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh...us Cubans are a fun bunch! Always loud, hard to understand {because of dropping off that last letter}, and caffinated! ;)
    Great post! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are! and even if there are only 2 Cubans it seems like thousands but like I said always fun! Thank you for reading my post...

      Delete
  7. This is awesome - I knew pretty much nothing about Cuba before reading this! I bet I would LOVE Cuban coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's basically espresso but SUPER sweet and STRONG! and sometimes hot milk is added to it and it is called a "cortadito" as in "cutting the coffee"

      Delete
  8. Hola Zoila mi nombre es Mónica y vivo en Cuba. No sé si serás la persona que estoy buscando desde hace tanto tiempo por encargo de mi mamá. Ella se llama Olga Odette Zenea Capote y ha intentado dar contigo desde hace muchísimo tiempo. Si la conoces, por favor escríbeme al siguiente correo monijuanc@gmail.com. Gracias

    ReplyDelete