Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Things are different here


Costa Rica is fun and yes it is an amazing experience not to mention adventures every hour as we drive through the city where address' are not as we are used to in the US. Here's an example:

"500 meters South, 200 meters North, 50 meters West and 100 meters East from Downtown Escazú in San Jose Costa Rica" 

Um? what? where? Oh yes I have a compass on me {NOT!}... and Oh yes I know where downtown Escazú is -not really! today I got lost again finding the downtown area. Like I said adventures happen every hour, but still it is fun. 

From day 1 it has been an adventure, because I was taught that everything good, bad, funny and interesting that happens in life is an adventure. You learn so much from what happens to you. So what happened on day 1 you ask, I was wearing my new sandals which I was excited I had gotten such a great deal on them and then *BAM!* My sandals broke! I took a wrong step and suddenly I was flying in the air sandal caught the step and goodbye new sandals!


***UPDATE on my sandals, this week I found a shoe repair shop near our home and decided to take my sandals to see if they could be saved. They sewed the strap to the sole and as of today 07/12 I have my sandals on :D I can wear them again :D ***

My birthday weekend we finally got to visit the Beach and enjoy some good family relaxation and time, I wore my favorite flip flops which had glitter all around them. Now my "cute" flip flops lost their glitter and have glue stuck on them. They don't look so cute anymore.

To put it all into perspective, a pair of cute shoes from well known brands that would cost $25 - $50 in the US cost $50 - $120 in Costa Rica! Eeeks! I'm always tempted to convert the prices to US Dollars to know what I'm paying and my stomach turns because I know I could get this item for much less in the US. So I have shopped around, learned pricing here and no I have not bought the replacements to my shoes so I'm walking around in flats every day that are neutral but sometimes do not match with what I'm wearing. Good ol' Børn shoes, it's one of my favorite shoe brands. They are comfy, cute and have a flower detail on them. 

Here is what I miss from the good ol' USA:




Yes I miss them... and other things I probably took for granted while living in the U.S. 

Next time we visit the U.S. I plan on taking an empty suitcase to just fill up with pads, shoes and maybe some other items. Either way I am enjoying our new home, our new City and the Country we are in. It is everything I hoped for and more. 

10 comments:

  1. Great view of your world! I wish I could visit you, I would bring a suitcase full of fun stuff from the states!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D thanks Melissa! ;) It is fun, but I do miss all of the mentioned above. I guess I will have to make it work one way or the other... ;)

      Delete
  2. WOW, never thought of all the things we usually take for granted that are so easily accessible here in the States. Can you order any of it online to be delivered?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I need to update this post {hehe} as of yesterday my sandals were repaired :D but I can order online, the shipping and customs fees will make it more expensive than to buy new ones here.. So I may be shopping soon :D

      Delete
  3. Sorry your sandals broke! And oh noooooooo, no Target?! *faints*
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup no Target, I have friends emailing me pictures of their red shopping cart along with a sbux cup in hand... :( I need to update this post because as of yesterday my sandals were repaired :D

      Delete
  4. I remember seeing you talk about your move on the fb group, and now you're really there! What an adventure this has started out to be! I hope the rest of your transition goes more smoothly from here. Looking forward to hearing more about your new life in CR! Visiting you from the SCLBs Friday link up.

    ~ Ferly
    Gifts We Use {to grow, love and serve}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ferly! yes remember? seems like ages ago... :) Now we are home! {all our belongings are unpacked!} :D and we are adjusting better than I expected which is good. :D Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. So glad that you are settling in and able to save those Sandals! Hope to get to Costa Rica sometime in the next year or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm glad too! :D I will be wearing them today super excited about it :D

      Delete