Monday, August 22, 2011

Plantains, when they're still green. "Tostones"

Plantains are basic in Cuban food, I know this because I'm half Cuban. If they are not ripe they are called "TOSTONES" 


INGREDIENTS:

2 Green plantains (not at all ripe)
2 Tbsp of vegetable oil
Salt to desired taste

PREPARATION:

1.- Peel and cut the plantains into half inch rounds:


2.- Heat cooking oil in a large non-stick skillet for about 2 minutes and place each round so that it doesn't touch the other ones.



3.- After cooking on each side (top/bottom) for 2 minutes, take out each round and "press" between a paper towel -Please note that they can be very hot so use as many paper towels as you need-


4.- Place again in the skillet to cook entirely on both sides for about 2 minutes each side. Sprinkle some salt on top and serve.




My grandmother would cook the best food and so does my mother. I think they influenced me in my selection of meals, because I love cooking Cuban Cuisine better yet eating it!

No comments:

Post a Comment