Saturday, January 28, 2012

Fun Fact Friday week 01/27

Photo Credit: Stroller Adventures


Yes it's January, the end of it though. Still here in San Diego or Sun Diego as many call it, we feel as if we were in summer. My daughter -who is in first grade, came home from school the other day and asked about Groundhog Day. That really got me thinking, because here we only get snow in the mountains and this winter has not had the best snow or rain for that matter.

Groundhog Day is celebrated on February 2 every year. It is the day where people visit Punxsutawney PA to attend a special ceremony where the groundhog comes out of a heated burrow and looks for his shadow. If he sees his shadow it means that there are 6 more weeks left of winter. If he does not see his shadow then spring is closer.

Did you know that the groundhogs burrow is electrically heated? and that he is called Punxsutawney Phil? I didn't either.

I still am curious about Punxsutawney Phil the famous groundhog, I wonder what if he would see his shadow if were here in San Diego? For now my kids are enjoying the weather, riding their bike/trike and playing in our backyard. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment