Thursday, August 27, 2015

Why I Run.




One foot in front of the other, pounding the floor or more like the sidewalk. 

"You can do this!"

"You got this!"

"Just 5 more minutes, pace yourself".

"Breathe in, breathe out... slowly".

...And you're done. You just ran for 45 minutes non-stop. You did it! You really did it. 

Remember how running fast for 2 minutes was all you could do? Remember, when you reached 7 minutes but nearly passed out after it? Yes, I do remember that. I was working on my time, but was really not doing it right. How do I know this? Last month while visiting family in Baja, my mother hired a family friend who happens to be called "Iron Woman" by all who know her to train me. She is a triathlete, she runs, she swims and she cycles. Her body is strong, confident and she is so inspiring. We began doing sprints, bodyweight lifting, TRX exercises and then we gave running a try. 

She saw me run and gave me great advice, not only that but she noticed how hard it is for me to walk fast. To run -for me at least, it takes a lot because my thighs rub against each other. My thighs in all honesty is where I carry most of my weight and it really isn't that easy. Lose skin plus fat plus movement not the best combination. However, I want to run. I truly do, I've been dreaming about it and attempting it since 2012 on and off. I will not give up, I have not given up on the idea because I know persistence all to well.



Two weeks ago my family and I decided we needed an outing at sunset, the kids and my husband geared up for a bike ride and me? I decided I was going to run, because I could. So I did. While they rode their bikes a few feet from me, I was struggling and hurting all over but I kept pushing. All I could hear was my mind telling me "you got this!" and so I did, one foot in front of the other. Others passed by us along the trail and some would smile at me, one man stopped and stared at me; I'm sure I know what he thought, but I don't like to assume so I continued to pace myself and when I felt I couldn't go any longer I set my timer so I would not keep thinking about how much I had until it ended and played some music, took a deep breath 1, 2 and 3 times. 

Suddenly the timer went off and 45 minutes had gone by, I did it! I got this!

55 minutes is the amount of minutes I can now run non-stop. Oh yes I am there. Today as I ran around the park I kept looking over at the benches in the shade, seemed tempting considering it was hot and I had forgotten my water bottle. I kept going, I promised myself I would go for a run and I did. I do not pay attention to what others say, yes I hear their comments but their comments just make me think how far I've come. They're just reminders of what I can do and where I want to be. I'm not the poster child for a runner, but then again I thought all you needed to run were legs and a will to do it. So here I am, yet again with my two legs and my will to run. 



Let's go! 

You got this! 

You really got this, because you are running 30, 45, 55 minutes and you are doing it with a smile, with pride, with joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment